Make money on TikTok. From hilarious animal videos and viral dances to creative visual tricks and pantomimes to popular songs, TikTok has something for everyone.
Like YouTube and Instagram, TikTok is used by people to generate revenue and build a career as an influencer. But where to start?
How to make money with TikTok
TikTok has grown rapidly in recent years. It is estimated that there are 17 million active users per month in the UK, an increase from almost six million by 2020. Meanwhile, TikTok is well on its way to reaching 1.5 billion global users by 2022.
So how do users make money on TikTok and its fast-growing audience?
There are three important ways to make money on TikTok:
- Direct income from TikTok through its Creator Fund
- Collaborate with brands to place sponsored content
- Sell your goods through the platform
To get into a position where you can start making money, you need to take these important steps:
- Build your followers – You can start attracting the attention of brands with almost 50,000 followers
- Identify a niche – if you have a small number of followers, creating a niche such as fishing history can help you excel
- Add posts regularly – make sure you’re consistent and don’t lose momentum with long breaks between posts
- Leap on Trends – TikTok is known for its viral dances and music videos – can you incorporate the latest trends into your outfit?
- Interact with your followers – the more you communicate with your followers, the better your sponsored posts
As with all social media platforms, the more followers you have, the more money you can make. But when it comes to TikTok, you don’t need millions of followers to make money. If you have between 50,000 and 150,000 followers, you are considered a “micro-influencer”, while creators with less than 50,000 followers are known as “nano influencers”.
If you want to make money on TikTok immediately, you must meet the minimum watch requirement and have at least 100,000 video views in the last 30 days. Read more about the TikTok Creator Fund.
How to earn on TikTok with few followers
If you can create engaged tracking that focuses on a specific activity or topic, you can start making money with about 10,000 followers. Build trust with your audience and they will have more opportunities to engage with your sponsored content. As a result, brands are more likely to contact you to promote their products.
If you are creating sponsored content on TikTok, make sure you follow government advertising guidelines.
In addition to building the number of followers, you also need to focus on:
- Creating video views
- Creating a personal brand
- Building relationships with followers
- Keeping your audience involved over time
How much does TikTok pay?
The amount of money you can make on TikTok is unlimited, but it varies.
Some of the world’s most famous creators make millions of pounds a year through the platform. For example, according to the Digital Marketing Institute, American creator Addison Rae earns about $5 million from her TikTok videos.
It is estimated that the most famous creators can earn up to £10,000 per contribution. However, you can’t directly generate big revenue from TikTok if all of your videos don’t get a lot involved.
Therefore, it is important to analyze different revenue streams, including partnerships and sales.
TikTok Analytics – how does your content move?
If you do want to start making money with TikTok, it is important to monitor the performance of your microsite/page.
Data analysis can help you figure out what’s going on and when your audience is interacting with your posts. This information can be valuable if you want brands to know why they should work with you.
To view your TikTok analysis, visit your profile, click on the three dots in the upper right corner, select “Authoring Tools” and then select “Analytics”. Your analysis will be divided into three parts:
- Overview – Here you can monitor the growth of followers, view the profile, watch the video and communicate at different times
- Content – This allows you to analyze the performance of each video you post, but data is only available for the last seven days
- Followers – On this tab, you can see where your audience is coming from and when they’re most involved
What is the TikTok Creator Fund?
In the UK, the TikTok Creator Fund is part of Creator Next, a TikTok initiative that helps creators take their content to the next level.
In addition to the Creator Fund, Creator Next members have access to:
- TikTok Creator Marketplace – a platform where creators can connect with brands and agencies to create content together
- LIVE GIFTS – Creators who receive fan gifts during live broadcasts can exchange them for cash
- Video Gifts – A way for creators to make money with their short videos. Every gift they receive can be exchanged for cash
- Tips – Creators who use this feature will receive tips from followers who want to support them financially
How does the Authors’ Fund work?
So how does the TikTok Creator Fund work?
Once you are accepted into Creator Next, you can start using the Creator Fund.
The Author Fund will pay you based on video views and engagement. You can only be paid for videos that comply with the Community Guidelines and TikTok Terms and Conditions.
Once you start making money, the money will appear on the fund’s main dashboard for authors. From here, you can withdraw money on a payment platform.
What are the fund’s criteria for authors?
To participate in Creator Next, you must adhere to the following behaviors:
- At least 18 years
- Meet the minimum requirements for followers (depending on the region, but normally around 10,000)
- At least 100,000 videos watched in the last 30 days
- There have been at least three posts in the last 30 days
- Make sure your account meets the TikTok community guidelines
How to get TikTok followers
The key to creating a TikTok follower is to understand your target audience and create the content they want to see.
If you want to attract a lot of followers, you also need to post regularly and reach your audience.
Here are five quick tips to help you build your audience and get more views on TikTok:
- Use popular hashtags and featured or popular songs – using tags and popular songs in your posts will increase your chances of more people seeing you on the “For You” page
- Jump to the latest trends – you can increase your exposure by turning an interesting trend. However, TikTok trends are evolving fast, so make sure you have the latest information
- Build relationships with other creators – Sharing content with other influencers can get your message across to a wider audience
- Join TikTok Challenges – Start your TikTok challenge or create a memorable existing version that can increase your reach
- Create quality content that can be shared – good lighting and clear sound can appeal to your videos, making people more likely to share
When is the best time to post on TikTok?
TikTok will show you if your audience is active, so try to base your posts on these times.
As with other social media platforms, some of the most effective times are for morning, evening, and Sunday content. Think about how many hours your audience is likely to be on the phone and focus on them.
How else can you make money with TikTok?
If you want to become an influencer and make money by affiliate marketing, then pay for a multi-channel strategy. This means that you build followers on various platforms such as Instagram and YouTube, such as TikTok.
Promoting your online brand across multiple platforms will help you reach a wider audience, build trust with your followers, and ultimately create more money-making opportunities.
Here are some other ways you can only make money from TikTok:
- Song promotion – record companies and music promoters often pay influencers to promote their artists’ songs
- Collect virtual gifts and tips – You can earn more revenue by creating content that your followers will enjoy. TikTok has several useful tools (see above) to help you collect gifts and tips
- Create in-feed ads – Use TikTok Ads Manager to promote your product or service you offer
- Become a consultant – if you have already made money on TikTok, new creators can hire you to give them tips and advice on how to get started